Fauzi Announces Plans to Prevent Idul Fitri Chaos in Jakarta
Dofa Fasila August 20, 2011
[The Jakarta administration has announced a long list of do nots for this Idul Fitri aimed at keeping the city safe and peaceful. Governor Fauzi Bowo said on Friday that, in keeping with a policy introduced last year, the administration would not hold an open house at City Hall.
In the past, residents would gather at City Hall on the second day of Idul Fitri where they received food and sometimes cash.
All city officials are also banned from holding such events at their private residences, Fauzi said.
“For other parties that want to open their houses to the public, we call on them to first notify the Jakarta Police and the mayor, to make sure that the distribution of gifts remains orderly,” he said.
There have been incidents in the past when these kinds of Idul Fitri open houses have resulted in deaths as people were trampled in an attempt to get gifts.]
More on the idolatry of "Idul Fitri" at "Jakarta Globe"